Haplin, Minnesota – from the ABC television series “Happy Town” – enjoyed an uneasy peace for five years, but the small town now faces a new crime that brings all unresolved fears to the surface.
The founding family of Haplin, Minnesota – represented by the mysterious matriarch Peggy Haplin and her quick-tempered son, John – runs the local bread factory called “Our Daily – Bakery and Confectionery”, the town’s largest employer and sometimes called “the bready” by locals.
Where Is Haplin, Minnesota?
Haplin, MN can’t be found on any map of Minnesota. But, based on the pine trees, the lakes and hilly surroundings it’s likely located in Northern Minnesota, maybe around the Iron Range (Hibbing MN) or the North Shore of Lake Superior. But, the size and charm of the town of Haplin, MN appears to be more like the towns you’d find in Southeast Minnesota – along the St. Croix River or Mississippi River – for example; Stillwater, Hastings or Red Wing, MN.
Happy Town Fun Facts
- The spring celebration in Haplin, Minnesota is called Thawfest which includes a number of amusement park rides, games and tents. For the show, Thawfest was filmed in Montebello Park in St. Catharines, Ontario.
- The local serial killer, “Magic Man” was nicknamed because of his uncanny ability to make people “magically” disappear.
- “Magic Man” has a bird with “wings of fire”. Most likely it’s a bird with wings of a reddish tint.
- “Magic Man” began his killing spree 12 years ago and continued once a year for the next 7 years. 5 years ago, the killings stopped, but no one knows why. No one knows who “Magic Man” is, but there are plenty of local suspects.
- “Happy Town” is filmed mostly in Port Hope, Ontario. Additional scenes have been filmed in St. Catharines, Ontario, Georgian Bay near Penetang, Ontario, Port Perry, Ontario, and on a sound stage in Toronto, Ontario.
- During filming, business owners in Port Hope, Ontario complained about an American flag being flown at Town Hall because the local filming policy stated that flags from other countries should not be flown on the municipal building. This policy was later changed to allow the flying of foreign flags during filming.
- The town motto on the sign for Haplin, Minnesota is “Where The Bread Also Rises”.
- The show’s creators have said that the Magic Man’s identity will be revealed in the 8th and final episode of this season.
For previews and show times, visit http://abc.go.com/shows/happy-town.