Shipwrecks from a mighty 1905 November gale on Lake Superior prompted this rugged landmark’s construction. Completed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1910, Split Rock Light Station was soon one of Minnesota’s best known landmarks. Restored to its 1920s appearance, the lighthouse offers a glimpse of lighthouse life in this remote and spectacular setting.
Split Rock Lighthouse is celebrating its 100th birthday in 2010. Today it is one of America’s best-preserved lighthouses. A visit to the site offers a glimpse of life at an early 20th-century lighthouse, in a remote and spectacular setting. Tour the lighthouse, fog-signal building and the restored keeper’s dwelling. The Visitor Center features an award-winning film, exhibits and a museum store. The lighthouse opens to the public for regular tours on May 15, 2010.
For more information, visit the Minnesota Historical Society web site.